Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Eighth Station ~ Jesus Speaks to the Women of Jerusalem




THESE WOMEN ARE UNABLE to keep from demonstrating their affection for Jesus. Maybe they were ignored by the people around; maybe others told them to be quiet, but they refused. Either way, they cry for Jesus out of a deep inner urgency.

I can feel a sense of urgency because the law requires I wear my seat belt, otherwise I risk getting a ticket. Or urgency can flow from an inner personal need calling me to action. "My baby is crying and I must hang-up the phone and see what's going on." But these women of Jerusalem are crying because they must. They cannot do otherwise. Love compels them.

When Jesus finished washing his disciples' feet he said, "As you have seen me do, so you must do." I hear the urgency, the imperative of Jesus' words: I must love! But I must not  love Jesus because I want something from him, even forgiveness for my faults. I want to love Jesus so to console him for every offense done to him past or future. I want to love him with all the strength I can find in my heart with nothing held back. I want to be daring in my love for Jesus, loving him in the great company of Stephen and Lawrence, Francis and Clare, Peter and Paul, Perpetua and Felicity, Kateri and Teresa.

Some silent moments

Our Father Who art in heaven...
Hail Mary full of grace...
Glory be to the Father...