Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Fifth Station ~ Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus Carry the Cross




THE GOSPEL TELLS US that Simon was coming home from his work in the fields when the soldiers forced him to help carry Jesus' cross awhile. His having been beaten so severely, the soldiers were afraid Jesus wouldn't make it to the top of Calvary. That would mean trouble for them.

We can imagine Simon's fear having to get involved in this execution. Maybe he was afraid that he'd be hurt by the surrounding violence, or that this was going to take more time than he could afford, or fear of what others would think of his contact with this condemned man. Or perhaps he was simply lost in un-imagined fears.

Oh Jesus, I am a slave to fear, free me! I want to sing, My heart is ready O God, my heart is ready. Ready to serve. Ready to learn. Ready to be generous. Ready to trust. Ready...