Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Station Eleven ~ Jesus is Nailed to the Cross




EVEN THE SILENT GESTURES of Jesus have meaning. Look at the enormity of Jesus stretch! Maxed out, we say. So many of us tell of great losses: a loved one's sudden death; sexual abuse; a father never known, virginity foolishly given or stolen away; infidelities; addiction; a home ruined with fighting and divorce; emotional absence where I'd hoped for love.

And a great loneliness has perhaps overwhelmed me, making living and believing painfully difficult. But how is it, in this moment of my life, I have been put in contact with this picture, this meditation? Is it God's way of finding me, perhaps lost in an abyss?

In Jesus, God himself has opened his arms to the whole human race, including me? Like an eternal priest before the altar, with arms outstretched in prayer, Jesus welcomes me personally. 

This is a crowded picture. But I can push the ladder, skull and robe aside in the forefront of the painting. I might imagine right now entering the scene and quietly approaching Jesus who is wide awake in pain, cold and loneliness. He will whisper something for my ears only. Listen!

Our Father Who Art in Heaven...
Hail Mary full of grace...
Glory be to the Father...